Visa Application

 You may apply for your Chinese Visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your home country. When applying for your visa, please remember to bring along with you your valid passport, the original copy of the university's admission notification and a Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (also known as the JW201/JW202 form). Do make sure that your letter of admission and JW202 form are handed back to you together with your passport after obtaining your Chinese visa. You will need these documents to apply for Residence Permit after your arrival in Beijing. 

         International Students who will be studying in China for more than 6 months are required to obtain an ‘X1' Visa.


(1)The‘X1’ Visa will is only valid for 30 days after your arrival. You must apply for a Residence Permit within these 30 days;you would be otherwise considered staying illegally and heavily fined.

(2) According to Chinese law and regulations, international students MUST register at universities with X1/X2 visa or residence permit issued by Chinese police stations. Students with other types of visa are NOT permitted to register.

 It is not advisable to arrive way before the day of registration since you will not be able to apply for a Residence Permit prior to registration.

'X1' Visa Sample


Students who will be studying in China for less than 6 months may apply for an ‘X2' Visa.

‘X2' Visa Sample


Residence Permit issued by Chinese police stations. 

Residence Permit Sample


For information regarding the location and the contacts of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your country, please visit the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs at